Day 17Today’s Mission
Here’s a list of today’s assignments. You’ll find more details down below!
- Track the calories you eat today, keeping within your daily calorie goals, as well as paying attention to your carb, protein and fat percentage goals
- Protein percentage recap, plus a few extra protein facts.
- Come on over to Facebook, Twitter or Google + for support (or use the comments down below).
- Fill out the Daily Habits Awareness Sheet for Week 3 at the end of the day.
Recommended Percentage of Calories from Protein
A healthy individual should aim to get about 10% to 35% of their calories from protein.
How Many Calories are in 1g of Protein?
There are approximately 4 calories in 1 gram of protein. I use the word “approximately” because, as with carbs, many people believe it’s exactly 4 calories. It’s not.
Complete Protein and Incomplete Proteins
Proteins are made up of amino acids. Animal-based foods are considered complete proteins because they provide all amino acids — especially the amino acids our body can’t create. But what if you don’t eat meat? Is there a way to make sure you’re eating a “complete protein”? You bet! Combining certain plant foods will ensure that you’re eating complete proteins. You don’t even have to eat them together in the same meal.
Here’s a list of vegetarian foods that complement each other:
- Grains with legumes (e.g. beans and rice);
- Milk with grains (e.g. milk and cereal)
- Grains with nuts/seeds (e.g. rice with almond slivers);
- Milk with legumes (milk in lentil or pea soup);
- Legumes with nuts/seeds (sunflower seeds and peanuts).
I pulled out a few protein-related articles here:
Share the Experience
What is your protein percentage goal? Are you a meat-eater or a vegetarian? Have you ever considered going vegetarian?
Missed a Day? Check out the links down below. Sign Up Here for Daily Emails!
Prep Day | Day 1 | Day 2 | Day 3 | Day 4 | Day 5 | Day 6 | Day 7
Week 2 Prep | Day 8 | Day 9 | Day 10 | Day 11 | Day 12 | Day 13 | Day 14
Week 3 Prep | Day 15 | Day 16 | Day 17 | Day 18 | Day 19 | Day 20 | Day 21
Week 4 Prep | Day 22 | Day 23 | Day 24 | Day 25 | Day 26 | Day 27 | Day 28 | Graduation Day - Beyond the Boot Camp