7 Healthy Snacks to Satisfy Your Sweet Tooth on a Diet
One of the things that people often miss the most when trying to lose weight is dessert. When you’re trying to save calories, sweets are often the first to go.
Fortunately, you don’t have to forgo all sweets. There are many delicious sweet treats that you can enjoy without breaking your diet. Check out the following list for ideas.
*Note: As with all things, moderation is key; keep an eye on your portion size and stay within your calorie deficit. 1. Fruit salad. Fruit is naturally sweet and makes an excellent choice for those who are trying to watch their weight but still satisfy a sweet tooth. A single piece, though, can get boring. By making a fruit salad and mixing up several different types of fruits, you’ll be able to enjoy a variety of tastes and textures. If you’re cooking for yourself, cut up the fruit and keep each fruit in an individual storage container to avoid the fruit tastes melding together.
2. Sugar-free pudding. Whether you buy the pre-made packs or make your own, pudding can be an excellent way to satisfy a chocolate craving. A cup of sugar-free pudding will counts towards your dairy requirement, making this a versatile dessert.
3. Smoothies. Smoothies can be tangy and fruity or creamy. Throw different frozen fruits in with a cup of juice to make a nice tangy smoothie. Mixing frozen strawberries and bananas with milk will taste like a milkshake. Add some protein powder for an extra nutritious punch.
4. Popsicles. Double your smoothie batch and pop them in the freezer for a few hours for a delicious healthy snack. Or, purchase all-fruit bars from the grocery store. These snacks are low calorie and taste great on a hot summer day.
5. Yogurt parfait. Using plain yogurt, fruits and granola, you can make a tasty parfait. Simply layer the different items in a tall glass. Remember, though, that a single serving of granola is quite small. Double check on the box to make sure that you are not serving more than one serving or calories will quickly add up.
6. Chocolate-dipped strawberries. These are another excellent way to get a sweet fix. You’ll get the taste of chocolate, but it’s not enough to make a significant impact. Most of the bulk of the dessert is a fruit. You can also dip other fruits in chocolate as well. Bananas and pears are a couple of tasty favorites.
7. Baked apples. Apples are great when warm. You can even sprinkle a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg on them. Try coring some apples and stuffing them with additional fruits, such as raisins for extra oomph.
As you can see, there are many desserts that you can make in very little time that will satisfy your sweet tooth without packing a caloric punch. To balance out the carbs, you can add a bit of protein, such as nuts, peanut butter or low fat cheese, where appropriate.