Healthy Kitchen Game Plan: Dry Erase Board
But one thing I do know for sure? Losing weight and getting fit is 100% mind and motivation. All the weight loss tips in the world won't work if you don't remind yourself every day what you need to do to reach your goals.
You need to set yourself up for success by using visual cues to trick your brain to make a better choice. Your brain is making decisions before you're even aware of it.
When you decide to change your eating habits, it's not enough to say, "I'll eat better." You need to know not only how you're going to eat healthier, but you need make a conscious effort to remind yourself of those choices.
Change? Does not happen overnight.
See: How to Put Together a Meal Plan
How many times have you bought fruits and veggies, only to throw them out by the end of the week because you didn't eat them?
Healthy Kitchen Makeover Tip #1One simple way to make better food choices is put a magnetic dry erase board on your fridge. What better place, right?
Here's mine in action:
Simple, right? It's an 11" X 14" magnetic dry erase board I had hidden away, unused. I dusted it off -- and voilà! One of the easiest tools to help you eat better.
Your Game Plan
- Write down all the healthy foods you have on hand on the left side of the board, under an "Ingredients" header. You can color-code this if you'd like. Green for vegetables, red for meats, and so on.
- On the right-hand side, write down recipes you can make with those ingredients under. It doesn't have to be anything fancy. Even if it's a simple reminder to eat "Salmon and Roasted Squash" or "Banana and PB Snack", add it to the list.
- Below the "Recipes" Section, I put a "Freezer" section. This is for previously made meals sitting in my freezer. It's a great reminder I have a ready-to-eat meals when life gets busy. I also added items I might forget are frozen. I recently froze parsley into cubes for the first time. So, a reminder helps.
- Cross off ingredients as you use them up.
The Advantages and Benefits of Using a Dry Erase Board
- Helps you to organize and plan your meals.
- Saves you money because you don't waste food.
- Improves your health by eating nutrient-dense foods.
- Helps with weight loss by helping you to make better choice.
- Gives you confidence in your ability to eat healthy.
- Sets you up for success by making you aware of your choices.
- Relieves any stress you might feel about your food choices.
- Sense of accomplishment when you don't throw any fruits or veggies out.
- Spending less time figuring out your meals frees you up to exercise more. (I HAD to throw that in!)
You can buy a dry erase board over at Amazon or at your local office supplies store. Or maybe you've got one gathering dust in your basement? Don't forget to buy accessories like dry erase board markers, brush and cleaner.
Tip: I use the brush for minor corrections. But when wiping the board clean, I spray with the cleaner and wipe up with a paper towel.
What do you think about this tip? Let me know on my Facebook page.
Please share if you think this is a great tip!